Senior Frontend Developer
We are looking for a Senior Frontend Developer to join our growing, multinational team of engineers, designers and testers who are working passionately to help improve the quality of life for people in lower and middle income countries through the creation of high quality digital services grounded in the principles of human centered design to bridge the gaps of commerce, education and health. All our users need is a simple mobile phone and a mobile connection to get access to the information and services they need to succeed and thrive.
As a Senior Frontend Developer at Viamo, you, along with the rest of the team, will be responsible for building, scaling, and maintaining a large scale web application that processes 4 million interactions a day.
At Viamo, we envision a world where all people have access to the information they need to make decisions for healthy, prosperous lives, and have meaningful relationships with governments, civil society, and businesses.
With more than 300 team members spread across 25 countries, and serving projects in more than 40 countries, we truly work on a global scale to catalyze a mobile tech movement. We are connecting nonprofits, governments, and businesses to the people they serve using the digital technologies they already have in their pocket (voice calls, interactive SMS, and social network chatbots). Tech teams are mostly based in Saskatoon Canada, but some of team members are in other cities (around Canada, USA, Europe, Latin America, and Africa)
At Viamo we value Diversity, Equality and Inclusion. We know that diverse perspectives and experiences make our products, services and teams stronger.
If you think this job looks like something you want to do - we want to see your resume!
What’s in it for you?
- Generous vacation (unlimited - yes you heard that correctly!)
- Health benefits plan (a plan to make sure that you and your family are happy and healthy)
- Flexible work schedule. We understand that you and your family may have a busy schedule. We can accommodate that!
- Work from anywhere - the beach, a cabin in the woods, anywhere you have an internet connection and can be productive.
- Equipment to be productive. You’ll get a tech equipment allowance to make sure you are happy and efficient!
- Continuous learning opportunities and support for professional development. We want you to grow with us, and we will do anything we can to help!
As Viamo’s Senior Frontend Developer you love bringing designs to life and doing so by creating reusable components which enable others to build powerful software for delightful user experiences. You contribute in a form that considers others; authoring developer friendly code and high-quality features that can be verified by our QA team. You work with Designers to co-create Viamo’s Design System which enables developers to create maintainable and unified user interfaces. Your attention to timelines and excellent planning means that you are an asset to your team. Finally, you enjoy being a contributing member of the Frontend chapter, leading learning sessions and researching new technologies.
Your Responsibilities day to day:
- Create scalable software for delightful user experiences
- Create reusable components - Enable other team members to solve problems.
- Take a lead on planning - Look at a list of requirements, provide realistic estimates and then work with Technical Project Managers to ensure fully realised tasks are created and ready to be worked on.
- Contribute to design - Provide ideas to help designers solve problems and create great user experiences, from a developers perspective.
- Co-create our Design System - Work together with the Design Chapter to bring Viamo’s Design System to life.
- Be accountable to timelines - Make your work estimates visible, understand the impact it has on timelines and communicate with the team so that everyone is up to date on your progress.
- Balance quick fixes and long term solutions - Build solutions quickly while making highly informed choices that ensure the success of future development and product vision.
- Provide examples - Use consistent coding patterns and implementation ideas to build a familiarity across the team.
- Teamwork and Chapter membership
- Collaborate and contribute - Work across Tech Chapters (QA, Design, Front end, Infrastructure) and take responsibility by showing through example how to unleash others and move the team forward.
- Forward thinking - Actively push knowledge sharing forward by leading learning sessions, coordinating processes and actively engaging in chapter membership.
- Unblock others - Work with an awareness of the most important tasks to work on now, that will make a difference for the larger team and ask yourself - “What work can I do that will unblock others?”
- Provide Support - Take occasional technical support shifts.
- People Management (optional) - If you enjoy dedicating part of your time to invest in others, you can:
- Provide encouragement and guidance to team members
- Make sure developers have what they need to succeed
- Collect and provide feedback through regular 1-on-1s
- Conduct Professional Growth Assessments for your team members by soliciting feedback from Viamo colleagues and assisting with individual goal setting
- Support team members to build professional development learning plans
Requirements (aka What we are going to love about you!)
- Balance Speed and Quality - You strike a balance between working quickly and writing quality code.
- Balance Quick fixes and long term solutions - build solutions with an awareness that decisions “roughing things in” at an early stage will make it easier for yourself (and others) to pick it up later. This helps the team build incrementally towards a larger vision.
- Proactive and communicate often - Given a problem, you collaborate with others and then independently create steps that need to be followed, letting others know of the decisions you make along the way.
Important technologies to know
As a Senior Frontend developer, we’d love it if you’re familiar with most this stuff:
- Leveraging the web as a software development platform
- Experience with Jest, unit testing, TDD
- Deep knowledge of CSS; SASS + Less
- Reactive programming paradigms (Vue.js, ReactJs, etc)
- Deep understanding of RESTful APIs
- Frontend build systems and transpilers; webpack (laravel-mix), babel, progressive resource chunking
- Tooling automation and pipelining (docker, jenkins, bitbucket pipelines/github actions)