Senior Full Stack Developer
We are looking for a Senior Full Stack Developer to join our growing, multinational team of engineers, designers and testers who are working passionately to help improve the quality of life for people in lower and middle income countries through the creation of high quality digital services grounded in the principles of human centered design to bridge the gaps of commerce, education and health. All our users need is a simple mobile phone and a mobile connection to get access to the information and services they need to succeed and thrive.
As a Senior Full Stack Developer at Viamo, you, along with the rest of the team, will be responsible for building, scaling, and maintaining a large scale web application that processes 4 million interactions a day.
At Viamo, we envision a world where all people have access to the information they need to make decisions for healthy, prosperous lives, and have meaningful relationships with governments, civil society, and businesses.
With more than 300 team members spread across 25 countries, and serving projects in more than 40 countries, we truly work on a global scale to catalyze a mobile tech movement. We are connecting nonprofits, governments, and businesses to the people they serve using the digital technologies they already have in their pocket (voice calls, interactive SMS, and social network chatbots). Tech teams are mostly based in Saskatoon Canada, but some of team members are in other cities (around Canada, USA, Europe, Latin America, and Africa)
At Viamo we value Diversity, Equality and Inclusion. We know that diverse perspectives and experiences make our products, services and teams stronger.
If you think this job looks like something you want to do - we want to see your resume!
What’s in it for you?
- Generous vacation (unlimited - yes you heard that correctly!)
- Health benefits plan (a plan to make sure that you and your family are happy and healthy)
- Flexible work schedule. We understand that you and your family may have a busy schedule. We can accommodate that!
- Work from anywhere - the beach, a cabin in the woods, anywhere you have an internet connection and can be productive.
- Equipment to be productive. You’ll get a tech equipment allowance to make sure you are happy and efficient!
- Continuous learning opportunities and support for professional development. We want you to grow with us, and we will do anything we can to help!
As Viamo’s Senior Full Stack Developer, you have a creative confidence for designing architectured solutions based on your many years of experience building across all layers of web applications.
Your Responsibilities day to day:
- Create scalable software that makes a difference to people’s lives:
- Create solutions and follow-up - collaborate with team members to ensure the solution is driven through to completion.
- Take a lead on planning - look at a list of requirements, provide realistic estimates and then work with Technical Project Managers to ensure fully realised tasks are created and ready to be worked on
- Contribute to design - provide perspectives on some ways that solutions can be designed, from a developers perspective.
- Be accountable to timelines - Make your work estimates visible, understand the impact it has on timelines and communicate with the team so that everyone is up to date on your progress.
- Balance quick fixes and long-term quality solutions - build solutions quickly with an awareness of the larger product vision and be able to return and complete the work.
- Provide examples - Use consistent coding patterns and implementation ideas to build a familiarity across the team
- Become a leader and inspire your colleagues:
- Collaborate and contribute - Work across Tech Chapters (QA, Design, Front end, Infrastructure) and take responsibility by showing through example how to unleash others and move the team forward
- Membership - Be a part of both Infrastructure and Frontend Chapters (or pick just one!)
- Unblock others - Work with an awareness of the most important tasks to work on now, that will make a difference for the larger team and ask yourself - “What work can I do that will unblock others?”
- Contribute to team processes and learning - so that the engineering team meets its goals of becoming smarter, more productive and healthier each sprint
- Provide Support - Take occasional technical support shifts
- Management Opportunities- If this is something that motivates you, you can manage and support your junior colleagues in their professional development
Requirements (aka What we are going to love about you!)
- Web App development experience - This is your thing! You love working across all layers of the application and can bring years of experience to our teams.
- Ability to balance speed and quality - Based on the task at hand, you strike a balance between working efficiently and writing quality code.
- Build for scalability - You can come up with and implement scalable solutions utilizing all technologies and tools available to you like queues caching caching.
- Proactive and continuous communication - Given a problem, you collaborate with others and keep everyone in the loop along the way.
- Being open to thinking differently - Some designs need to be constrained within technical and/or architectural boundaries and other times designs need outside the box thinking! As a senior developer you are able to understand what a given situation calls for and support designers on both ends of this spectrum.
Our technologies (a bonus, but not required to know this stuff)
We value your ability to learn, and your years of experience over any specific tools knowledge, but here’s what we use:
- Jenkins, BitBucket pipelines, Github actions, Travis-ci